Spring is the time to brush off the cobwebs from winter, clean, organize, and prepare your home for the upcoming summer season. Spring cleaning is a common activity for many households, but as well as cleaning, spring is also an ideal time to complete any maintenance tasks you may have been putting off, such as making sure your garage door is secure and operating smoothly.
This garage door maintenance checklist will take you through the annual steps you should take to ensure your garage door is properly maintained. Some steps are simple and easy enough for you to do yourself at home, while others might require the qualified attention of a professional, such as those at TGS Garages & Doors.
Prepare for Warmer Temperatures with This Garage Door Checklist
Taking care of your garage door on a regular basis will ensure it keeps operating smoothly, reducing the need for bigger repairs later on. Most of the items on this checklist you’ll be able to tackle by yourself but we’ve noted where it would be more appropriate to contact a professional who understands how to maintain heavy garage doors and their intricate hardware.
- Clean and Inspect– start by cleaning your garage doors and hardware of any dirt or debris that may be collecting in the mechanism. Take note of any parts that seem loose or rusty – as spring and summer approach it’s common for garage door hardware to be affected by temperature changes. If you have a wooden garage door, keep an eye out for any areas of rotting wood or flaking paint or varnish that needs to be redone.
- Check the Springs – broken springs on a garage door are dangerous and difficult to safely replace as a DIY project. If the springs seem to be in good condition, simply lubricate them to help extend their lifetime. However, if they are broken or look rusted or worn out, it’s best to call in a professional who has experience in spring repair or replacement.
- Check Hinges, Rails, Sprockets, and Other Hardware – inspect all the hardware on your garage door, looking for signs of wear and tear such as frayed cables or loose parts. If you’re in doubt, contact a qualified garage door service technician for a professional inspection.
- Check Tracks for Cracks and Debris – the tracks of your garage door tend to accumulate debris that needs to be cleared regularly. Keep an eye out for any damage such as cracks, which should be replaced.
- Paint and Weather Seal – both wooden and metal garage doors should be weather-sealed regularly. Untreated wooden doors may rot and metal doors may rust. Rain and sun can also fade your garage door treatment, making it look old and tired. If you want to update the look of your property, you might want to consider choosing a different paint color.
- Lubricate Hinges and Tracks – lubricated hardware keeps your door operating smoothly and helps to minimize wear and tear. Use a spray lubricant on all metal hardware and moving parts.
- Test the Door Balance – If your garage door is unbalanced, it might indicate that adjustment is needed or that parts are starting to wear out. Check your garage door balance by disconnecting it from any automatic openers and opening and closing it by hand to see if it opens smoothly. If it’s difficult to open or close or slams to the ground when you let it go, you should bring in a professional to assess the issue and make repairs as needed.
A Professional Garage Door Company Dedicated to NJ Residents
While many of the basic steps on this garage door maintenance checklist can be carried out with minimal equipment at home, for some repair tasks, you’ll need the help of a professional.
TGS Garages & Doors performs a full range of garage door maintenance and repair tasks for residents in NJ including:
- Garage door spring repair
- Fixing doors that won’t open all the way
- Servicing doors that are difficult to open or that open too fast or too slow
- Fitting and servicing garage door openers
- Replacing broken hardware including sensors, cables, locks, and pulleys
- Replacing panels or sections of garage doors
- Repairing or replacing broken or misaligned tracks
- Servicing squeaky or scraping garage doors
Our friendly garage door repair and servicing team is ready to help you with all your maintenance needs. Contact us online to schedule a repair or a free consultation for replacement garage doors.