If you’re like most homeowners in New Jersey, you use your garage door as the main entry point into your house. However, opening and closing your garage door multiple times a day causes wear and tear to the opener motor, torsion springs, and the door itself. TGS, a premier garage door company in NJ, can help with the ongoing garage door maintenance you need to keep it functioning properly for as long as possible.
How Long Does A Garage Door Last?
The lifespan of your garage door can vary widely, depending on whether or not you give it the proper care and maintenance. In general, here’s what you can expect:
- Garage Door – The door itself will typically last about 30 years.
- Opener – Most opener motors have about 10 to 15 years of life in them, depending on the specific brand and model.
- Torsion Springs – Typically, torsion springs are good for about 10,000 opens. On average, this equates to about five to seven years, though the specific length will depend on how frequently you use your garage door.
Of course, these are just general guidelines. The better you maintain your garage door and opener, the longer it will last.
Garage Door Maintenance Checklist
Proper maintenance is key to extending the life of your garage door and opener. Follow this garage door maintenance checklist to help your garage door last as long as possible:
- Test the safety features, including door blockage sensors, emergency stop, and manual override, about once a year to ensure everything is working as it should
- If your opener is chain-operated, oil the chain once a year to keep it moving smoothly
- Lubricate the tracks on either side of the door once a year as well.
- Have a professional test the balance of your door and adjust it as needed every two to three years.
- Conduct a visual inspection of your garage door and all of its moving parts about every six months. Keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary, including unusual noises.
Work With An Experienced Garage Door Company in NJ
If you notice that something isn’t quite right with your garage door, call the garage door experts at TGS right away. The sooner we can address the issue, the less risk there will be of permanent damage. As an added bonus, catching any issues early on can save you a lot of money on garage door repair or replacement costs.
We offer comprehensive maintenance programs for garage doors and openers in New Jersey as well. When you sign up for the program, we’ll handle all of the ongoing maintenance of your door and opener, leaving one less thing for you to worry about.
Without the right care and maintenance, your garage door and opener won’t last nearly as long as you would hope, so don’t neglect this important aspect of your New Jersey home. Reach out to us today to schedule your first maintenance appointment with our expert garage door technicians.