Most homeowners are aware of the importance of securing doors and windows around the house to prevent unauthorized entry and burglary. However, in many home burglary cases, an unsecured garage door serves as the intruder’s main access point. While keeping your garage door closed when not in use may be second nature, it is important for homeowners to understand that the locking mechanisms on garage doors are often not as secure as those on entryway doors and may be opened easily by criminals with basic tools.
With years of experience working on homes in the Monmouth, Ocean, and Middlesex Counties of New Jersey, TGS Garages & Doors understands the importance of properly securing your garage door from burglary. Our friendly and professional team is happy to offer advice on the best garage door solution for your home and other aspects of security to help secure your home.
How Do Burglars Break into Garages?
Burglars often target garages as a point of entry because they’re often not as secure as other parts of the home. Garage doors are often left open by absentminded homeowners, making them vulnerable to attack by passing opportunists as well as planned burglaries. For instance, whether at home lounging around or completing household chores, many homeowners assume there’s simply no harm in leaving the garage door open. However, a burglar can easily slip into your home through the opened garage door and escape with valuables in minutes. Or, they can use the opened door as an opportunity to look inside and scope out a plan for a later intrusion.
Even a closed garage door can be enticing to a burglar, as the locking mechanisms can often be opened with little effort. Thieves have been known to use wire coat hangers to access the emergency latch on roller garage from outside in as little as 20 seconds. For these reasons, it’s wise to take some extra precautions to secure your garage, especially as we approach the summer travel season.
Tips for Preventing Garage Door Break-Ins
Many garage doors are not secure and can be easily broken into. If you’re concerned about the security of your garage, you may want to consider upgrading to a more secure door or taking some other steps to prevent break-ins:
- Seek Expert Advice– garage door experts, such as those at TGS Garages and Doors, can assess your current security situation and advise on any upgrades or changes you can make so that your garage is more secure.
- Install a Security Camera – garage security cameras are a great way to protect your garage from unwanted intruders as the very presence of the camera is often enough to put off burglars. Modern security systems even let you view camera images from your smartphone, so you can keep an eye on your property when you’re away from home.
- Always Lock your Doors – leaving your garage door open or unlocked invites passing opportunists into your home. Keep your garage door locked at all times as a simple way to decrease your chances of a break-in.
- Add Additional Locks – using an additional bolt system or padlock will prevent burglars from activating the emergency release of your garage door to gain entry. Even the mere sight of these extra forms of security can deter an intruder.
- Install an Automatic Garage Door Closer – for those with manual garage doors, remembering to close your garage door can be challenging. Alleviate that concern altogether by purchasing a high-quality motorized garage door opener.
Upgrade Your Security with a trusted Garage Door Company in NJ
If you’re taking steps to ensure your home is secure before the summer season and you want to make sure your garage door is not a potential weak point, we can help. As one of the premier garage door companies serving NJ residents, we are committed to providing a friendly and professional service to install and repair garage doors and garage door openers, helping to increase the security of your home.
Contact TGS Garages & Doors to schedule a consultation with our team of experts. From inspecting the security of your garage door and opener to installing hardware that will further provide a peace of mind, we look forward to offering our expertise.